Friday, March 27, 2009

Some New Lorikeets

It's been a fairly typical week in the birdroom. Buddy, the whiteface cinnamon pied cockatiel was sold this week, but the rest of the hand-raised birds are still with us. The conures are still a little nervous with all the action but are coming out of their shell with me. They've been on lunch with me several times - and let me tell you it's very difficult to eat with two curious conures perched on your shoulder trying to take food from your lips!
I got a few more hand-raised birds in, too. At Christmas I had two rainbow lorikeets in, memoable for their bright red chests, when most rainbows show a mix of gold and red. One of the customers I sold one to had a change of employment where he's no longer stationary and realized he would have to part with his pet.
So, on Thursday I welcomed back "Bird" the rainbow lorikeet, who has learned a wonderful collection of whistles and is a real little character. I also received a new hand-raised cockatiel (another whiteface cinnamon) and a very baby olive mutation rainbow lorikeet. He seems a sturdy little fellow for his age - as soon as I had him out of the box and into his waiting cage (which turned out he'd be sharing with Bird) he was digging into his nectar mix. He's still got some of his baby down feathers and such a tiny tail, he's a real little cutie! I'll have to hold onto him for a couple of weeks, since even though it's eating independently I like to have confidence they can fend properly for themselves before going to a new home.
I'll have to come up with a name for this little guy too. Will also take my camera in Sunday, and get some photos of everyone.

I'm off to enjoy my weekend :) Keep flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment