Sunday, March 15, 2009

We're all worn out

So, Bailey has gone to his new home, but four new hand-raised additions to the bird room kept me from missing him too badly today. Still, as I was mopping the floor this afternoon, after doing around the center cage, I realized it was the spot I'd usual lean the mop aside for a second and play a few rounds of Bailey's favourite game, Peak-a-boo, with him. And yes, I missed him.

Anyway, on to my new additions!

Meet, Nic, the green quaker, Max, the blue quaker, and Flame and Sandi the sun conures.
Just don't get too attached to Nic, since he also sold today!
The conures actually won't be up for sale until Wednesday, so I have at least a few days with them. Max is a little nervous, but he's befriended Flame and Sandi already so I'm pleased he has a few buddies to snuggle up with. It was ultimate cutness factor this morning, when the four of them all started napping in the food bowl!

Thought I'd do my first profile on Max:


Name: Max
Species: Quaker parrot
Colour mutation: Blue
Age: Approx 10 weeks.
Gender: Undeterminded.
Price Tag: $575.

Max is still a little shy - which is nothing that surprises me, since he's in a new environment and has seen three different caretakers since Friday. But he's a typical sweet little quaker, fond of cuddles, and with a little time I think will settle in beautifully.

In general news, it was a busy morning in the birdroom. A pile of small chores and phone calls always tend to build up from the entire two days I've spent away from the birdroom, and there's new birds to get to know, plus the usual weekend shoppers which make the room busier than usual. But after finally getting sweeping, feeds, waters and fruit and veg completed it got a little calmer. I took the conures and Max to lunch with me (Nic having just sold at this point) so they could get to know me without the added pressure of the crowds on them. Of course I naturally had to snap a few more photos, as well, even though none of them top the goregous shots of the four birds cuddling in the food bowl!


I did have time to take Cam for a walk this afternoon. It's more hazardous than it sounds. Firstly I have to don my winter vest, which at the moment is my 'Cam vest' - this is due to the fact that neither my buisness or polo shirts offer any sort of protection against Cam's hawklike talons. (also Cam has a fondness for rippign buttons off. The vest zips). With the vest on Cam is quite happy to cling to my front and get out and about. But I have to be very aware of any stock small enough to be picked up in his beak, and take care to leave sufficent space between the large feathered broach anchored to me and the store shelving.

Tomorrow will likely be just as busy as today was. Monday is clean-out day in the birdroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment