Monday, August 29, 2011

Another new boy!

Another new addition to the growing gang of handraised birds in the Birdroom today - we got in a second Alexandrine. This one is called Alex (Alex the Alex :D) and is a very handsome five year old. And BIG - when I had him on my shoulder this afternoon, it was like having a small hawk sitting on me! So I've settled him into his own cage for tonight, tomorrow I'll introduce him and Archie, the on year old Alexandrine I got yesterday. They'll still be housed separately unless they decide to become instant BBF or something like that, but it'll be interesting to see them interact with one another since they've both been 'only birds'.


Archie had a fun playtime this morning, out with the other handraised birds - the two Scaly Lorikeets and the Kakariki. He was a bit freaked out by the smaller birds, leaning away from them in alarm when they ventured near - and Heebie, the larger of the two Scalys, was hilarious with him. He kept stalking over to a higher perch, sitting right above Archie's head, while the poor Alexandrine (around four times Heebie's size!) pinned his eyes and fluffed up his head feathers nervously. Heebie seemed to know Archie was so nervous of him and continued to strut up and down on his perch just above Archie. I warned him if Archie bit his foot off I was just going to watch, but he knew best. Too fearless for his own good, that Lorikeet. Jeebie at least had some common sense and stayed away from the bigger bird!


Heebie wasn't finished with tormenting poor old Archie though... early in the afternoon, I was chopping fruit and vegetables and put out some celery pieces for the birds to peck at. Though there were plenty of smaller bits, because Archie grabbed the largest one, Heebie wanted it too. As Archie held it in one foot, Heebie sidled up and began to take bites out of it! So, so cheeky.


Didn't take my camera in today... will smuggle it into tomorrow, and hope the new boss doesn't notice me taking snaps of the birds :D 'Uh - yes, as a matter of fact this IS work related. Sorta...'

No comments:

Post a Comment