Monday, October 3, 2011

'Oh... I suppose I can be friends then'

So last week, two Scaly Lorikeets sold from the four I had. All up their were four, two normals and two olives, each two from different breeders. When they all came out for playtime, they didn't have anything to do with one another, mainly because of the older pair, Heebie and Jeebie. They had one another and that was enough. The olives had been raised around other Lorikeets and mingled happily with others, but Heebie and Jeebie wouldn't have a bar of their friendliness.


So after Heebie and one of the 0lives sold, I was faced with a small dilemma. I never like to have a social bird like a lorikeets housed separately if possible, they thrive on company. But Jeebie and Olive weren't friendly with one another at all. I decided to go ahead and put them together and just observe them carefully. At first I thought it wouldn't work. The squabbled or ignored one another for a few hours... then... 'bing!' A switch was flicked and all of a sudden they were best buds. Jeebie followed Olive everywhere, they eat together, play together, wrestle together... it's great to see!





No comments:

Post a Comment