Friday, September 30, 2011

Georgie's attitude change...

Georgie's basic training for the first few days didn't go well.

I began with a basic bonding session - coming into her aviary to offer new toys, a few sunflowers, a head scratch. Each would inevitably end with a bite. I immediately cut off contact - drawing back the toy/treat, turning my back, with no eye contact, for ten seconds. She responded by immediately talking to try and get my attention and trying to climb around to 'my side' of the aviary.


After a few days of this - I'm seeing zip improvement. She's still not reliable and it snapping at me when I go for headscratches and though she responds when I turn away, trying to get me to turn back, this tact isn't working for her. I sit down and think about this. My 'punishment' is not working. Why not? Most likely answer I can come up with is that she's still getting the desired response... ie I am taking my hand away, even though that is followed up by ignoring punishment, she is still 'winning' because I take my hand back. Meaning she thinks she is in charge.

Monday, I go into her aviary with a different attitude. I don't smile and coo good morning - I march in, tell her a very businesslike and firm 'Hello, Georgie', and stick out my arm, looking directly into her eyes, and telling her calmly but insistently 'Stepup'.

Georgie grabs my hand, nips twice, throws it away. I don't back down, I stick my arm right back out. Georgie thinks about this for two seconds.

Photobucket

SUCCESS! I almost broke into a victory dance! And I tell you... the change in Georgie is unbelievable. With me she is now fully affectionate, stepping up, cuddling, allowing head scratches willingly - even coming up to me to ask for them - and nuzzling my face, even when sitting on a perch that was higher than my shoulder. She is accepting other girls as well - staff and customers alike. It's like she has realized and accepted where she fits into this new flock and her naughty nips have stopped.

This week, Georgie has now been enjoying all the benefits of working with staff - she comes out for playtime and walks around the store, she gets lots of toys, fruit, and attention, and she is settling in so well :) Really happy with the results here, if only every cockatoo were so easy to work with!


Playtime!

Photobucket


Mmm... cuttlebone!

Photobucket


Checking out the office!

Photobucket



1 comment: