Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hey there, Georgie Girl!

Georgie has arrived! Meet the big gorgeous girl:







The bad news - she's what I call a 'guy's bird'. She's great when men go to handle her, they can pick her up and pat her and cuddle her and she's just flirt flirt flirt, but she's exceptionally intolerant and moderately aggressive with women. I've been working with her, trying to imprint in some basic manners. So far a head scratch and handing her something - a toy, a sunflower - is fine. But a stepup... still working on that.


Speaking of sunflowers, she is a very tubby girl (See the last photo on her belly, where the feathers part along her belly? That is the excess weight she is carrying!) and I would ban them entirely from her diet if I thought she would cope at all - which I don't think she would, she's just pitch a fit that would never end! So instead it's rationed sunflowers, and LOTS of fresh fruit and veg. From tomorrow I'm going to remove her seed for two hours to encourage immediate fruit/veg eating, and hopefully soon I'll be able to take her from her cage for playtime (instead of asking one of the boys to come get her out of her for me...!) and get some exercise happening :D


I doubt she's going to be with the store long though - she's the most outstanding talker and dancer and knows just how to wow an audience, somebody will fall in love with her sooner rather than later I suspect. Which sometimes is a shame, although I want to see all my kids go to a good home, I enjoy a challenge to work with and I would love to see if I could make a change in her anti-female habits and her diet!


Ah well, time will tell, and in the meantime - there are birdie salads to chop up, and photos to take :)


No comments:

Post a Comment