Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Spoiled things they are

It struck me today as I was chopping apple, pear and strawberries among other fresh fruit and veg, that I felt a bit like I was working at a Boost Juice bar. With the among of lorikeets in store I had gotten a little extra fruit in the weekly Birdroom shop, and they were making the most of it. The Kakarikis in particular are nuts about strawberry and tip their entire bowl of fruit on the floor of their cage in order to pick it out first.


The four Scaly lorikeets were particular entertaining today. The two olives have been playing in a large cardboard tunnel, and I was in stitches watching them roll it around while they were both inside. Heebie and Jeebie, the normal coloured Scalys, today decided the handraised Kakariki would make a good playmate. They followed him for ten minutes, trying to share all the pine needles he picked up to play with, then trying to groom him while he looked at them warily, unable to understand why these strange hoping green things were so interested in him. The Kaki is more independent and is happy to ignore the other handraised birds as he scuttles around exploring, and he was quite bewildered by their avid investigation of him!


Oh, and some good news - on Thursday I'll be meeting six-year-old Georgie the Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo! She's flying up from Sydney and I'm already excited to see her - photos can be expected, as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment